Madie's first (and second) time getting an IV.
Madie's first time being admitted to the hospital.
Madie learned how to give kisses.
Let me explain
A week from Hell...
Saturday August 8
Madie had diareha all day and threw up Saturday night.
Sunday August 9
Madie had diareha but acted fine all day. Sunday night we went to bed thinking that the throwing up was an isolated incident. About two o'clock in the morning I woke up to Madie screaming I ran into her room and found her in her Bed covered in throw up and it was still coming. I yelled for Ben and I got her calmed down and cleaned up while he cleaned her bed up. Ben gave her a blessing and then I sat and rocked her for the rest of the night trying to keep her comforted.
Monday August 10
Madie still had diareha and threw up again that morning. I had to go to work that day because we were very short staffed. Ashleigh came and stayed with Slade and Madie that day. I called Madie's doctor and they told me to just watch for dehydration, mainly no wet diapers. Madie had her last urine diaper Monday morning, diareha throughout the day but did not throw up at all... again we thought that we had gotten past her "little" bout of the flu. Until we got to bedtime... She started throwing up again and this lasted almost all night.
Tuesday August 11
Tuesday Morning I called the doctor again, Madie still had not had a wet diaper and I was concerned that she was getting dehydrated. The doctor said that they could get Madie in at 1:25. I went to work (because again we were short staffed) and then took a long lunch to take Madie to the doctor. Chelsee stayed with the kids while I was at work that day. When I took Madie to the doctor he said that she was a little dehydrated but he said that we should jsut keep pushing the fluids and feeding her small doses of formula at a time. I was not really comforted with this at all but did not know what else to do. Later that day she continued to throw up and have diareha. At this point I am getting very worried and everyone is kind of treating me like I am overreacting.
Wednesday August 12
Now I am really freaking out, she is still sick but now all that she will do is lay on the floor, when I pick her up she is just completly limp. Ashleigh came over and stayed with her and Slade, I went to work and did what I felt like I absolutely had to do and then came home at lunch and stayed home with her. Throughout the day I kept calling the doctor telling them that she had not had a urine diaper since Monday morning, still had diareha, still was throwing up, and now was very lathargic. They kept "reassuring" me that she just wasn't feeling well and that is why she was just laying around and this was jsut a bug that had to work through her system. Wednesday night our home teacher came over and helped Ben give her another blessing. She then threw up all night again.
Thursday August 13
Now I am terrified (and so was my mom), I called the doctor again and they just kept telling me she had to work throught the bug. My mom told me that I should just take her to the Emergency room which I was grateful for because that was what I felt like I should do but everyone else just treated me like I was overreacting. The ER gave her an IV and ran a bunch of tests, we stayed there for about 3 hours and then they sent us home. All afternoon she played and smiled and seemed like she was better. I thought good she is finally doing better. She was still very tired and went to bed early that night, then about 11 she woke up and I gave her a bottle, I was still just giving her a little bit at a time. Then as soon as she had the bottle down she threw it all back up. Now Ben is joining me in being really scared. We got her back to sleep and then we prayed harder then I think we have ever prayed before. We layed there in bed awake all night just listening for her. She slept almost the whole night.
Friday August 14
Warning some of these pics are hard to see.
I got up and tried to give Madie a little pedialite before I gave her a bottle, again as soon as she got it down she threw it back up. Ben went and got Ashleigh to watch Slade. He then called Madie's doctor and demanded that she be seen right away. We took her down to IF pediatrics and her doctor saw her. Now the doctor seemed very concerned that she was still so sick. Finally someone was listening to me. He checked her out and said that she was moderately dehydrated and asked us if we wanted to just take her home and keep pushing the fluids or get her another IV. We choose to get her another IV. The doctor tells us that there is no one at the office that can get her an IV and sends us to EIRMC to be admitted. He told us then that he thought we should be able to take her home that night (I knew better). We took her over to EIRMC and they had her hooked up and getting fluid at about 11. By the way watching your baby get an IV is an awful experiance, so sad!!! All day she just slept. She still was not urinating and she had been on the IV for hours. We had to give the nurse her diapers so that they could weigh them to see how much she was going. I gave the nurse one (yes she was still having diareha) and I heard her telling the other nurse that Madie had to have been a lot more dehydrated than the doctor thought because she still wasn't peeing. When the doctor came in Friday night he said that she was not peeing enough (really?) and not drinking enough and that she was going to have to stay overnight. That night our Bishop came down with another brother from our ward and gave Madie, Ben and I all a blessing.
Saturday August 15
Madie slept pretty well during the night and finally started drinking and having wet diapers. The doctor came in the morning and checked her out again. He said that she was doing better but that he needed to see her drinking a little mo0re and peeing a little more before she could go home. Throughout the day she kept drinking more and getting stronger. Finally she was crawling all over us and laughing. The doctor came in around 5 and said that she was doing good enough to go home.


So now we are home and healthy. The doctor had said that she tested positive for some kind of bacteria and that she would probably have some diareha for the next couple weeks but other than that she is 100% again. We are so grateful that she is alright. The moral of this story is ALWAYS trust your motherly instincts.
Thank you to everyone that helped us out during this difficult week...
Ashleigh and Chelsee for taking such good care of Madie and Slade while I had to be at work
Grandma Linda for sitting in the hospital with us, bringing us food and helping us keep it together
Grandma and Grandpa Gski for worrying with me all week and giving advice
Katie for helping "get" Slade to his mom
Lisa, Marsha, and Lacey (our nurses at the hospital) for taking such good care of us
Bishop Dexter and Brother Sieder for coming and giving us blessings
All of my coworkers for covering for me while I was gone
All of our amazing friends and family for their calls and texts to check on us and for their prayers on our behalf
... We love you all! Thanks for everything!
1 comment:
i'm so sorry about Madie;s icky week! It sounds just awful, especially with all those doctors not responding. What a nightmare! But I must say that Madie looks SO much like her cute Momma. I see so much of you in her. Also, your blog design is adorable. It looks professional! I am so glad we found each other after so many years. I have a little blog too that I try to update (not done a post since Eleanor arrived though yet!!) kjelstromfamily.blogspot.com.
Post a Comment