Have you ever heard Slade sleep? He snores. He snores LOUD! As long as I have been around he has - he was 18 months when I came into his life, he is 5 now. People that have heard him sleep have often said that he sounds like a little lumberjack.
Yesterday Slade's mom and I took him to see an ear, nose, and throat specialist. The doctor said that since he has sleep apnea he needs to get his tonsils and adenoids out. The nurse came in to schedule his surgery and the only days that were available before he starts school were the 3rd and the 19th. We were afraid that he was not going to heal in time if we waited until the 19th so he is getting them out tomorrow. Two days is not much time to mentally/emotionally prepare ourselves or work through it with Slade but that is what we had to work with.
We told him that we will go to the hospital and they will put a mask on him and go to to sleep. When he wakes up he will have a sore throat. He seems okay about it but I think that he has been a bit distracted by the fact that we have been letting him eat whatever he wanted for the last day and a half.
Tonight we took him to the store and let him pick out a whole bunch of soft food and ice cream too. I think that he is pretty much thinking that this getting his tonsils out thing is the greatest thing ever. I doubt he will feel that way tomorrow afternoon.
I hate that he has to have this done. I wish so badly that I could do it for him. I know that this is something totally routine but it is so scary when it is your child that it is being done too.
Tonight before he went to bed Ben gave Slade a blessing. I am so grateful that my husband can bless our children. After Slade got his blessing Madie jumped up and yelled "my turn", so then Madie got a blessing too.
So at 6:30 tomorrow morning we will up at the hospital awaiting his surgery. If you feel so inclined feel free to say a little prayer for my little buddy.
1 comment:
I know what you mean about it being something routine but feeling like it's not when it's your kid. I hope everything went well and that the little trooper heals quickly! hugs!
Post a Comment